Tuesday, October 12, 2010

PASS, PUNT, and PISS


"The Sports Complex"

"Pass, Punt, and Piss" - Seriously, that is what the dear Mr. Announcer said at the football game, under the Friday Night Lights. . . "At half-time, we'll be awarding trophies to the winners of the PASS, PUNT, and PISS competition."  Oh dear, he was just mortified.  Can you stand it?


It was Homecoming, and after the noontime parade down Main Street, the Pass, Punt and Kick competition was held at our amazing "Sports Complex."  It really is amazing.  (Dad, I know you'd "just love it!")

The Senator and Patrick headed out to the field for a little practice, before it all got started.  It wasn't long before a whole group of boys and girls were gathered around practicing with them. 

I learned my lesson at last year's track meet, where I was a bit overly excited, so I sat with my friend, the postmaster bartending candy-maker, and watched QUIETLY from the bleachers. 

The competition began, and I remained quiet.  (Really. I did.  Ask the postmaster bartending candy-maker.  Even she was amazed!) Patrick had some pretty tough competition.  You know the type:
  •  the smartest kid in class and EVERYTHING is easy for him
  • the local street kid who is a natural athlete
  • the nice, big Native American kid who is one head taller than the rest of the group
  • the coach's kid
  • the high school football star's son
  • the kid who won last year and thinks he'll just automatically win again
  • the Catholic kid who goes to Mass every Sunday
  • the kid who is running around like a chicken with his head cut off and doesn't even know he is at the "Sports Complex"
When the competition was over, everyone headed downtown to the "Auditorium," which is really the basketball venue/court. The local businesses put on a free pancake feed.  The results of the PPK were announced at the feed.

WELL, lo and behold, our son, who I will remind you was a mere four pounds at birth, got second place!  The local street kid/natural athlete got first, and the really nice, tall, Native kid got third.  Both boys are Patrick's good friends, so we were so glad for all of them. 
1st, 2nd, and 3rd

That evening, at the game, during halftime, the boys got to go down on the field to get their ribbons and trophies.  The announcer was still a bit wrangled about his goof, so they asked me to announce the winners. 

 It was so fun to say, "Second place, The Pooksta (wait, no, I mean Patrick Brown)."  It just gave me the tingles.
Patrick got to wear Sam Pretty Bear's jersey to the game.  We love Sam Pretty Bear!

I know the Senator was really proud, too.  He made Patrick stay up until midnight the night before to practice place kicking and punting. . . in the rain, I might add! Oh, where is Gino Cappelletti when we need him?

So another year of Pass, Punt, and Piss, ah, I mean Kick, has passed.  We will hope for another winning effort next year.  (Uncle Bobby, please send your PPK jacket.) 

from the range, peace,
Kathleen
The Handy Girl

6 comments:

  1. Congrats Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Don! I want to grow up to be just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Patrick!!!! Be sure and bring your trophy to Minnesota so we can get pictures with the star! Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God . .Patrick Brown. . 10 1/2 yrs. ago . . The Lord Is My Shepard, I Shall Not Want . Everyone just keeps on Kickin' huh - or should I say Pissin'?!
    I laughed the most when you pretended, . "And now,in 2nd Place, THE POOKSTA. ." I forgot. He still is. I miss kissing his cheeks.
    Thanks for writing and sharing your good times! Made My Day!
    Love,
    Tarry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Tarry! I had forgotten about "The Lord is my shepard. . ." Now that made me laugh out loud! I'll kiss his cheeks for you.
    k

    ReplyDelete