Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Church Festival, A Silent Auction, and Halftime Snacks

The Fruits of THEIR Labor
Today, a crisp and clear fall day, was the Our Lady of Victory Church's annual festival/turkey dinner.  Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and dessert were served to the community. The church basement had a steady stream of folks taking in the turkey and the silent auction. 


Being the "Silent Auction Queen,"  I couldn't resist a couple of the items.  Two bikes were donated  by Ruby and Lennie.  Ruby had informed me earlier in the week, "Those bikes have only been ridden about ten minutes."  So, I was hot on the trail to get those bikes.  After the Senator took a look at them, he said, "Go for it."  BINGO!  That was all I needed. 


With five minutes left in the auction, and I put in my final bid.  Five, four, three, two, one. . . SOLD!  I got the bikes, along with two jars of Barbara's Russian pickles.  I knew I had those pickles locked in, so the level of excitement for those wasn't that high.

ready to hit the trail
 Mass followed the festival, which was also the start-time of the Vikes vs. the Cowboys game.  Oh dear, such a dilemma.  Thank goodness for that recording button. 


At the end of Mass, Father Bryan says, "Go in peace to serve the Lord."  Patrick looks at me and quietly says, "Mom, I hope it's OK, but I prayed that the Vikings would win today."  I think Brett would have needed that prayer, so I told him it was OK, just this ONE time.


So we headed home and fast-forwarded through the game and caught up to "real time."  Though our stomachs were pretty full of turkey, I just had to make snacks.  Little Smokies and Barbara's Russian pickles finally got to the living room in the 4th quarter.  Eat, Yell, Eat, Oh, Eat, Nooooooo, Eat, Ahhh, Eat, Yessss!  Game over.  Vikes win. Whew!  The power of prayer, huh?


Brett, Tony, would you like a Little Smokie?


How 'bout one of Barbara's pickles?
Oh, I guess, Brett, you'll just take the win.  We will too.  Patrick already has his Brett Favre jersey set out to wear tomorrow.

Right now, Patrick and the Senator are out in the back forty tossing the ball around, using the last five minutes of daylight.  They're reliving some of the great plays from the game.    

from the range, peace,
kathleen
the handy girl

2 comments:

  1. How can I get my hands on some of those Russian pickles!?!?! The little Smokies look awefully good, too. I forgot about Little Smokies . . . hmmmm . . . We could make it a meal with my "Famous" CREEK CORN PUDDING!
    L,
    Tarry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Russian Pickles? You want some of those, huh? Well, you'll just have to come out to the Range and sit a spell. We can discuss it with Barbara, the Russian pickle maker. The "soon-to-be-famous" Russian pickle maker, I might add!
    k

    ReplyDelete