Monday, April 18, 2011

Visiting the Boys

"The Boys"
Due to crappy weather in our little town, we had an unexpected and extended stay in the Black Hills over the weekend.  So....when life gives us lemons..we make lemonade!

We have been traveling to the Black Hills for over 20 years, and with Patrick, we've been there every year of his eleven short years, BUT, we had never brought him up to Mt. Rushmore.  Bad parents...bad, bad parents. 

Actually, the day before we got married, almost 16 years ago, we rode our horses on a three-hour ride TO Mt. Rushmore. Does that make us nerdy? 

We have pictures.  I was riding my paint horse named "Nasty."  I still had a fun time! I'd show you the pictures, if I knew where they were...

Anyway, during our extended/unexpected weather related stay in the Hills, the Senator had the hair-brained idea to take a tour of the hills and stop to see "The Boys."  We drove higher and higher into the hills, took some "harelip" turns and then shouted...
"Look, Patrick, it's George!"
Hi George. How's the weather up there?


While the Senator napped in the car,
Patrick and I headed up to see the boys.

How Fun...A Mount Rushmore Wedding
This little wedding scenario brought back memories of when the Senator and I got married. It was just down the hill from Mt. Rushmore at Custer State Park. 
Sing it with Babs and me now...
"Mem-reeeees,
like the corners of my mind..."

I tried to tell Patrick all about it, but he was off and a runnin'.
He had found the binocs.
"Can't we get closer, Mom?"

"Now there's your sense of adventure, young boy.
Let's hit the trail!"

So closer we got.  We got so close we were looking straight up their nostrils!
Too bad it started to snow, and the visibility was a bit limited.
Too bad my camera battery got "exhausted."
But that did not stop the handy girl and the adventurous boy.

Some of the trails were closed, so we'll just have to go back again.

My advice:  Visit Mt. Rushmore on a snowy day in April.
You'll have the place to yourselves.


Good-bye, Abe.
(You'll always be my favorite...love your hair today)
from the range, peace,
kathleen
the handy girl

No comments:

Post a Comment